PAGEANT - "Education is the future"
Things to take for Gambian schools
This is a list of items which are always appreciated by Gambian schools or village communities, and which are small enough to fit into your luggage if you are travelling to The Gambia. Please check first that the items you intend to take are allowed under your airline's current baggage security rules.
- Aprons - adult and children
- Balls - football, volleyball, basketball, tennis, etc.
- Dress-making scissors, thread, needles etc.
- First aid boxes and materials
- Football shirts, shorts and boots
- Golf umbrellas (prized as sunshades by elderly gentlemen)
- Mobile phones - used but working and not tied to a network
- Mobile phone chargers - UK 3-pin plugs are fine
- Nursery school age toys and equipment
- Pencils - coloured / 'ordinary' lead
- Pencil cases
- Pens - biros, felt tips, fibre tips etc.
- School bags
- School equipment - science, art, craft materials and instruments
- Sewing machines - old fashioned manual ones are probably too heavy, but you could take a lightweight portable
- Simple and scientific calculators - preferably solar powered
- Solar powered or wind-up radios, torches or lanterns
- Spectacles - prescription glasses for long or short sight are highly sought after
- Sports equipment - from nursery to full size, nets, kit, kitbags
- Tools and equipment - garden, workshop, carpentry, automotive, welding, etc.
- Wall charts, display material, reading and reference books
- Watches - with battery if needed
- White school shirts / blouses / polo shirts
Please let us know when you are travelling, and we can arrange for one of Pageant's agents to get in touch so you can hand over your items. For more information please email